Apocalyptic 2012


The disciples said to Jesus, "Tell us how our end will come to pass." Jesus said, "Then have you laid bare the beginning, so that you are seeking the end? For the end will be where the beginning is. Blessed is the person who stands at rest in the beginning. And that person will be acquainted with the end and will not taste death."
-The Gospel of Thomas 18

I do not get too worked up with the end of days.  The Gospel of Thomas would be the bane of those who spend their lives trying to find verses to support their Rapture/Revelation studies.  Jesus does not seem to be concerned with the end of days, but rather challenges us to know ourselves as we were at the beginning.  There are two ways of thinking about that actually.  It could be referencing to the unified Adam in the beginning.. the original child of God.  It is a calling to know yourself as a son or daughter of God and to rest in that.  Whatever comes, I am a child of God.
The other way of understanding this is the beginning was when all was in God.  Many of the Gnostic scriptures teach that God did not create but rather emanated from God's own self.  Jesus in this saying could be saying that to stand at rest in the beginning is for us to rather awaken to union with God.
I think in a way, both of these are correct.  To be a Son of God is to take after the nature of our heavenly Father/Mother.  I bear within this temporal flesh the spark of God...my spirit that will be reunited with that heavenly fire I call God.  So my ending is what was at the beginning.  I will return to union with God.
As my mind thinks on those little ones who lost their lives due to life's insanity, I can only hope that God, who is Spirit, grieves and gathered those little sparks back home again.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Second Coming Out - Eros United

The Battle of the Beautiful: Eros United

Confessions of a F*uckboy