Advent and the Gospel of Thomas

Jesus said, "It is I who am the light which is above them all. It is I who am the all. From me did the all come forth, and unto me did the all extend. Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there." Gospel of Thomas 77

Jesus said, "I took my place in the midst of the world, and I appeared to them in flesh. I found all of them intoxicated; I found none of them thirsty. And my soul became afflicted for the sons of men, because they are blind in their hearts and do not have sight; for empty they came into the world, and empty too they seek to leave the world. But for the moment they are intoxicated. When they shake off their wine, then they will repent." Gospel of Thomas 28

Jesus identifies with the fullness of God from which all came forth.  And yet we also find that he came to earth.  The Divine Presence came to earth.  The Light came here in this world that is such a mixed bag.  Jesus sees our emptiness and seeks to share his fullness.  Yet he never gives up hope.

Advent speaks of the coming of God into the sphere of humanity.  Sometimes the Gnostic scriptures present God as utterly impersonal and yet in Jesus we see a face of God that is devastated by our blindness.  Prepare your hearts this Advent for the light of God to incarnate in your heart, that you like Mary may be a god-bearer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Second Coming Out - Eros United

The Battle of the Beautiful: Eros United

Confessions of a F*uckboy