A Thomasine Incarnation

The Gospel of Thomas has no birth narrative.  In fact it hardly has any narrative at all in it about the life of Jesus.  However it does speak to the mystery of Jesus.  Yet I firmly believe a Thomasine Christian could celebrate Christmas with all the awe and mystery that comes from contemplating the season.  We find in the Gospel of Thomas:


(28) Jesus said, "I took my place in the midst of the world, and I appeared to them in flesh. I found all of them intoxicated; I found none of them thirsty. And my soul became afflicted for the sons of men, because they are blind in their hearts and do not have sight; for empty they came into the world, and empty too they seek to leave the world. But for the moment they are intoxicated. When they shake off their wine, then they will repent."
(29) Jesus said, "If the flesh came into being because of spirit, it is a wonder. But if spirit came into being because of the body, it is a wonder of wonders. Indeed, I am amazed at how this great wealth has made its home in this poverty."

and

(77) Jesus said, "It is I who am the light which is above them all. It is I who am the all. From me did the all come forth, and unto me did the all extend. Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there."

We find in Jesus one who came from the undivided fullness, the light of God.  The spirit was made flesh...and that which is spirit is so much more greater in that it is eternal than the temporal.  We find a Jesus who saw himself as the light, thus identifying with that of God.  Jesus saw himself God coming to humanity...entering this temporal and daresay corrupted world.. and yet this God this Jesus can be found within, as well as within a stone or piece of wood.  That of God could be found anywhere, and yet God also came to us with a human voice that we might know and hear it.  What is interesting is even as Jesus identifies with his Father, he calls us too brother and sisters and as being from the light.  Jesus becomes our big brother coming to help us who have lost our way, and unable to find our way back home.  Spirit took on flesh to guide the rest of the sparks of God back to the holy fire of God.  This is the message of Christmas for a Thomasine Christian.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Second Coming Out - Eros United

The Battle of the Beautiful: Eros United

Confessions of a F*uckboy