Animism and Ritual

Wikipedia has a working definition of Animism that I like very well.

Animism encompasses the beliefs that there is no separation between the spiritual and physical (or material) world, and souls or spirits exist, not only in humans, but also in all other animals, plants, rocks, natural phenomena such as thundergeographic features such as mountains or rivers, or other entities of the natural environment.  Animism may further attribute souls to abstract concepts such as words, true names, or metaphors in mythology. Examples of Animism can be found in forms of Shinto,HinduismBuddhismPantheismPaganism, and Neopaganism.  Source:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animism
So the Gospel of Thomas pointed the way of my Animism.  Then came the experience of everything being alive with its unique expression of the Spirit.  This is all well and good, but what does this mean?  How is this lived?  I have been asking myself these questions, and am only in the infancy stage of what this looks like for me.  Here is what I have so far:
  • I am a priest of place.  I serve the nature in my own "backyard"  The tall oak in my yard, the trees, the birds that come and eat the berries off of the bushes.  I will leave simple foods and offerings for these.  It seems natural and make sense that I should learn as much about them as I am able as well.  
  • Spend time in nature.
  • Grounding and Centering
  • Holy Days of Solstices, Equinoxes..Cycles of the Moon
  • Serve the spirits of the land
  • Honor my ancestors.
All of these seem very natural for me.  The sacred for me is in nature.  I have had dreams since my teenage years of those who passed with simple messages for my family so even that is natural that I would honor them.  This is a start.  I am not seeking to start a world religion, nor necessarily to join one.  I do think I can learn from other Animist faiths, but I realize I am treading my own simple path.  

Comments

  1. I am in agreement and have a very similar personal 'practice' however for me I see it more as Panentheism - God in all and God beyond all. Very similar though and it was Gospel of Thomas that brought that to light for me... and inadvertently nudged me back to Wicca :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Second Coming Out - Eros United

The Battle of the Beautiful: Eros United

Confessions of a F*uckboy