I also went through the Gospel of Thomas to look at how Jesus saw himself and how he spoke about himself. This is what I found:
  • I have cast fire on the world and am guarding it until it blazes. Saying 10
  • (To Thomas) I am not your teacher. Because you have drunk, you have become intoxicated from the bubbling spring that I have tended. Saying 13
  • Perhaps people think that I have come to cast peace upon the world. They do not know that I have come to cast conflicts upon the earth: fire, sword, war. Saying 16
  • I will give you what no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, what no hand has touched, what has not arisen in the human heart Saying 17
  • I took my stand in the midst of the world, and in flesh I appeared to them. I found them all drunk, and I did not find any of them thirsty. My soul ached for the children of humanity, because they are blind in their hearts and do not see, for they came into the world empty, and they also seek to depart from the world empty. Saying 28
  • Where there are three they are without God. And where there is only one, I say, I am with him. Greek
  • Where there are three gods, they are gods. Where there are two or one, I am with him. Saying 30
  • Lift the stone and there you will find me. Saying 77b
  • Split the wood and I am there. Saying 77b
  • No prophet is welcome on his home turf. Saying 31
  • Often you have desired to hear these sayings that I am speaking to you, and you have no one else from whom to hear them. There will be days when you will seek me and you will not find me. Saying 38
  • You don't understand who I am from what I say to you. Saying 43
  • If you blaspheme Jesus, you will be forgiven. Saying 44
  • You have disregarded the living one who is in your presence, and have spoken of the dead. Saying 52
  • Whoever does not hate father and mother cannot be my disciple, and whoever does not hate brothers and sisters, and carry the cross as I do, will not be worthy of me. Saying 55
  • I am the one who comes from what is whole. I was granted from the things of my Father. Saying 61
  • I disclose my mysteries to those who are worthy of my mysteries. Saying 62
  • He said to the person, "Mister, who made me a divider?" He turned to his disciples and said to them, "I'm not a divider, am I?" Saying 72
  • I am the light that is over all things. I am all: from me all came forth, and to me all attained. Saying 77
  • You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment. Saying 91
  • Whoever drinks from my mouth will become like me; I myself shall become that person, and the hidden things will be revealed to him. Saying 108
So trying to put together a coherent understanding of who Jesus is based on these sayings as well as Saying 15 (If you see one NOT born of woman, fall of your faces and worship.  That one is your Father) this is how I perceive Jesus.

Jesus is a prophet of God.  He was sent from God.  The Gospel of Thomas mentions his mother, so it can be understood that he is not to be worshipped as God.  So that reveals the question - exactly who or what was he?    He at some point himself realized who he was in God.  He allowed his light to merge with the Light of God.  As a messenger of God, he served as an initiator into the mysteries of God...an elder brother and guide to aid us in also bringing our sparks back into the Light of God.  He is revealed as the visible icon of the Gnostic man...the divine Adamas before the split and the fall.  We are called to be the same thing, and when that happens we are twins of Jesus no longer his student, but a fellow icon.  What he offers is a spiritual mystery or insight...his words to us are life and from God.  He has merged his being with God that he like other mystics in the world religions, he identifies with the Divine...yet still prays to him..helping us realize that he is still a man and the fullness of God, but a reunited spark sent to help us home.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Second Coming Out - Eros United

The Battle of the Beautiful: Eros United

Confessions of a F*uckboy