Woohoo! I Struck It Rich!

Jesus said, "There was a rich man who had loads of money. He said, 'I will invest my money so that I may sow, reap, plant, and fill all my storehouses with produce, lacking in absolutely nothing.' He was thought these things in his heart, but that very night he died. If you have ears to hear, then listen!" Gospel of Thomas 63

This saying makes me think of how much we are blessed with in this country.  I just saw a report that pointed out that the lower income give a higher percentage of their income to charity than the wealthier people.  This brings to mind the story of the widows mite who only gives a penny, yet Jesus says she has given more than all the others.  What makes us so stingy?  What makes us so giving?  I would venture a guess....fear and trust.  Those who fear lack, fear the future, fear this or that hold on to their money tightly.  Those who are already at the bottom, know they can and will survive do not cling to their money so tightly.  Yet it is here Jesus challenges us that it is not all about us...we ARE our brothers keeper.  A life lived only for oneself and ones own is not a life truly lived. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Second Coming Out - Eros United

The Battle of the Beautiful: Eros United

Confessions of a F*uckboy