There Are Questions...And Then There Are Questions!

These are the questions, I posited to my buddy who founded the Gospel of Thomas Association earlier today. I will list the questions first. Then the questions and my answers. When I receive his answers, with his permission, I will post them as well.

1. What does the GoT believe about God? Who is God? Compare and contrast him with the orthodox God...then the full blown Gnostic concept of God.

2. Who is Jesus? Is he God? How does one approach Jesus? As alive, dead?

3. How do you approach the orthodox 4 gospels in light of the GoT?

4. What happens when we die?

5. What would a modern Thomasine community look like? Their practices, beliefs etc.

6. What does the GoT say about salvation? Good Works? Trinity?

____________________________

1. What does the GoT believe about God? Who is God? Compare and contrast him with the orthodox God...then the full blown Gnostic concept of God.
I would say that the Gospel of Thomas presents a somewhat traditional view of God. God is light within light. God loves and cares for us...we emmanated from him in the beginning and to him we will return. There is some slight reference to Genesis, and an insinuation that this God is the God mentioned in the Bible but seemingly much bigger and broader than the authors of the Bible could fathom. In my opinion, the GoT presents a strong monotheist/panentheist view of God..who could be seen as Father or the Holy Spirit our Mother.

2. Who is Jesus? Is he God? How does one approach Jesus? As alive, dead?
It is my personal belief that the GoT presents Jesus as a man. He was a man who awakened as a child of God and so filled with the Spirit of God in such a way that in looking at him you saw God. He at times spoke with the voice of God, the mouthpiece of the Spirit, fulfilling God's will for him. So in that way he was a prophet. I approach him as my teacher, or to put it in a Hindu term, my guru, for in looking at him I see God. So I believe that anyone who awakens in God does not die, and do not have any problem talking to him, as he is united with the Beloved. I do believe he was crucified, and perhaps in some way was resurrected, but unlike orthodox Christians, the crucifixion plays no part in my faith as any type of sacrifice for sins. We are saved by a living knowledge of God, not by a human sacrifice to appease a god.

3. How do you approach the orthodox 4 gospels in light of the GoT?
For me, I read the 4 gospels through the lens of the GoT. My personal belief is that much of the Gospel of Thomas is earlier than the 4 gospels, and represents a different strand of Christianity than the proto-orthodox at the time. So while there is much to love in the 4 gospels, I believe that much is taken from earlier sources and commentary was added on, creating these stories. The Gospel of Thomas in my opinion is more free from these commentaries, and presents a clearer view of the teaching of Jesus.

4. What happens when we die?
For those who awaken to God in Gnosis, I believe we will return to union with God. For those who do not, I honestly do not know. However, I do not believe that the spark of God within all of us as our soul will remain separated from Him forever. So in my mind, there is a very real chance of reincarnation, or some other way for the soul to awaken.

5. What would a modern Thomasine community look like? Their practices, beliefs etc.
The GoT does not really describe what a Thomasine community would look like, as far as their practices and such. So I guess my dream community would be similar to the unprogrammed Quakers, sitting in sacred silence, sharing words they feel God is speaking or similar things.

6. What does the GoT say about salvation? Good Works? Trinity?
Salvation is through gnosis of yourself, where you came from, and to whom you came from and are going. In my belief it is a revelation of who you are in God, that changes the way you see the physical world, and your relation to the world's systems. Gnosis leads to right action, in my opinion. Right action/Good works should not be done as some obligation, but rather due to the light within serving the light within another. It is hard to realize the light of God when this world has you hungry, hurting, and lost. As far as Trinity-I believe that God is one. God is within all things and yet is more than all things..panentheism. God is seen through the metaphors of Father, and the Holy Spirit as Mother. We are all children of God sharing the spark of the Divine within us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Second Coming Out - Eros United

The Battle of the Beautiful: Eros United

Confessions of a F*uckboy