What Is That Up There?

"Jesus said, "If your those who lead say to you, 'Look, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will get there before you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will get there before you. Rather, the kingdom is within you and it is outside you. "  Gospel of Thomas 3a

I was meditating on this verse tonight.  The verse itself was triggered by something I heard someone say.  So I used my imagination to visualize this verse.  I pictured a well meaning friend pointing me to some religious goal.  (whether that goal is correct practices, enlightenment, salvation, the best religion, the right interpretation)  Religion can become another pitfall if the individual is not careful.  This clinging to a certain image of god, of belief, ritual, even scripture if clung to, too tightly, can be a trap.  This verse that I meditated on spoke to me that no scripture (including the GoT), no practice, no dogma is an end in an of itself.  It is only a tool. The religion I practice, modern Gnosticism, is a tool.  It is a way of seeing the world and God.  It provides a set of tools, but the religion itself is not "THE" truth.  Those who cling too tightly to their religion, beliefs, or doctrines are like those who say that the kingdom is in the sky.  It is OUT THERE.  But rather, Jesus says, it is in here.  We must go within.  Happiness is not out there.  It is not in the future nor the past.  It is in the present moment and is within us.  What a wonderful truth!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Second Coming Out - Eros United

The Battle of the Beautiful: Eros United

Confessions of a F*uckboy