To know God

I took a walk through a nature reserve today. It was very hot out, and I headed back after seeing a snake. I am a rainy day kinda guy.

Today is Earth Day. For Gnostics, we take an unusual approach to the earth. On one hand it is filled with God, the pleroma, the kingdom. The Gospel of Thomas (Logion 77) says it quite eloquently: "Jesus said, "I am the light that is over all things. I am all: from me all came forth, and to me all attained. Split a piece of wood; I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there."

The divine spark is in everything. But that does not make everything helpful to us. A tornado, earthquake or rattlesnake bite does not feel good. In a sense it is not helpful at all. Tragedy is like that. Gnostics look upon such events as the activity of the archons...the powers that want to keep us locked in this world. Whether literal or figurative, they are the things that can often cause us to lose our spiritual center. But in those moments can be our greatest opportunity for spiritual growth if we are open to it. God is not a tame God. He is in the beauty of a flower sprouting as in a tornado ripping up a home. But when pursued at a deeper level the dichotomy dissapears. We see through our attachments and see that which can only be called oneness. For those of us who are not affected by these tragedies, we are called as spiritual beings to serve compassionately those in need. This is the sign of one who is spiritual. It is easy to talk about and hard to live.

So the earth is a mixed bag. It is divine or at least the earth covers or hides the divine spark that shines forth in beauty at certain times. It also is a tool of the archons that try and test us to see what we are made of. Jesus the sacred teacher points out that this world is not our home. We are divine and we come from the divine, and if we will wake up we will return home in the fullness.

Until then we should protect the earth, the air, and the water as they are life for us and other creatures. They are ways that many can experience awareness. They when not cared for can have dangerous repercussions towards humanity.

Happy Earth Day!

Comments

  1. I liked this post. I took a walk, also, with my 3 dogs and encountered a rattlesnake. Luckily, we were able to go around it without any incident. So, here you are writing about why such animals as rattlesnakes are in the world. I think the snake did throw me off center for a while as you said they can do. God is most definetely NOT a tame God, as I was reminded on this wonderful Earth Day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Second Coming Out - Eros United

The Battle of the Beautiful: Eros United

Confessions of a F*uckboy