God as Mother

I was raised in a home with my mother and my sister. My parents divorced when I was around 5 or 6 and it really did not bother me when it happened. My parents remained friends and they still are to this day. My mother was strong but loving. My sister and I fought as siblings were prone to do but get along famously today.

The past few years I have been fascinated with God as Mother. I would say it first was a spark from my love of Mary. She in a very real sense was a feminine face of God. She was loving and compassionate. But I also began to look at scripture for images of God as Mother. I found her as a mother bear willing to protect her young at any price. I found her as a mother bird and hen wanting to gather her chicks. I found her in the word compassion in Hebrew is the same as the word womb. That gives a whole new meaning of the Spirit hovering over the waters in whom we live and move and have our being. I found her in the Jewish tradition of the Shekinah...the glory of God on earth and as the Sabbath Bride. She was Wisdom who made her dwelling with man and calls out to people to the right way. I found it in the Christian tradition of Sophia/Wisdom...and Jesus as the Wisdom/Sophia of God made flesh. I found it in the Syriac understanding of the Holy Spirit as Mother. The Gnostics understanding of the image of God that could be fathomed called her Barbarelo. I found her in Mary the mother of Jesus and Mary Magdalene. I read Thunder: Perfect Mind that contains a riveting understanding of God the Mother in the Nag Hammadi Texts.

I can just as easily call God mom as dad, mother as father...these are just fingers pointing at the moon. They describe a God who is ultimately indescribable.

Comments

  1. "I found her in the word compassion in Hebrew is the same as the word womb."
    Oooh that gave me goose bumps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Br. Jason, that was good.

    So nice to 'see' you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post means a lot to me. I have been searching for the Divine Feminine for many years now and have run across all these references, but when I tell people what I have found, most think I am 'stretching' the symbolism too far.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Second Coming Out - Eros United

The Battle of the Beautiful: Eros United

Confessions of a F*uckboy